To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic: Wish List  (Read 5777 times)

Offline Paul Ritchie

• Emperor
    • Hampshire Dragonflies
Wish List
« on: April 19, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »
Now that a few of us are getting lucky with our first sightings, what are your wishes for this season?

Mine are,
  • First & foremost - better weather
  • A chance to photograph a Common Hawker
  • To see & hopefully photograph a Norfolk Hawker
  • To photograph a coupled pair of Golden-ringed
  • To not let Brown Hawkers get the better of me
  • See & hopefully photograph a Red-veined Darter

Be interesting to come back to this at the end of the season and see what came true.

Offline Jerry

• Administrator
  • Emperor
    • UK Dragonflies
Re: Wish List
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 09:49:47 PM »
Hmmmm,

Mine would be.
  • Definitely with you on this one - better weather / long Summer.
  • See a Dragon or Damsel emerge.
  • Observe a new (to me) species (I still have quite a few left on the list).
  • Spend a couple of hours watching / photographing the Golden-ringed.
  • See and photograph one of the rarer foreign visitors.
Jerry

Offline LindaB

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor
    • LindaB Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
Oooh, could be such a long list LOL

In response to the above numbered list though, mine is:

1.  Ditto (getting bored with the hail and heavy showers now lol).
2.  Only seen one dragon emergence so would like to see (and have time) to watch one again.  (Seen damsels quite a few times so preference is a dragon.)
3.  See plenty of dragonflies this year as last year was fairly sparce for me (and it not be so scorching hot I cant stand the heat and have to stay in lol).
4.  See a Golden-ringed for more than a couple of seconds and photograph one.
5.  See a Clubtail - never seen one.
6.  Get some nice in-flight shots this year - dont think I got any last year (well, not any that were good enough).
7.  Regardless of the above wishlist, I would just be happy to have a good DF and DM year this year  :smiley:

Linda

Offline jccurd

• Emperor
    • Odo-nutters
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:27 AM »
Nothing ambitious then, Paul?  :grin: Good luck with your list.

Along with everyone but Anglia Water, I'm with you on the weather issue. I have slightly mixed feelings, though, 'cos my local Odo pond dried up last October and it is still empty - has been all winter. Not good!

As to wish list, I'd be very happy if I could get up to Cheshire and snag a White-faced Darter. I tried in France at the Pinail Trail last year and spotted a fleeting glimpse of two but failed to capture them on pixels. Twitchy little characters!

John
John

[http://www.odonata.org.uk]

Offline red_fan

• Emperor
    • My home page
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
I'll start by hoping I win the lottery so I can dedicate more time to dragonflies.

And in the real world I am just hoping for a good long season with plenty of dragonflies.

The Norfolk Hawker is on my list, as it is every year.

To improve on the photos I took last year.

And to visit some new dragonfly sites.

But I'll start with seeing a large red. Maybe today is the day
To know the truth, you have to understand the lies - SA

Canon 7D | Canon 350D | Sigma 10-20 | Sigma 17-70 | Tamron 18-270 | Canon 70-300 IS | Canon 100 IS | Sigma 150-500

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Emperor
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 05:39:26 PM »
I doubt if I'll get to Norfolk for the hawker but it'd be a great trip if I could get the swallowtail butterfly in the same trip.
I saw a clubtail but didn't get a decent shot of it so would like to try again.
Get up to Whixall Moss for the WFD.
Get down to Hampshire again for the golden ringed and the small reds. Still to see a female GRD and male SRD.

Offline Paul Ritchie

• Emperor
    • Hampshire Dragonflies
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 07:40:22 PM »
Jerry, Linda & Mike - Golden-ringed shouldn't prove a problem if the weather's good  :rolleyes:

Despite getting 'tired' of the lack of activity at Crockford, I had one of my best days there last year, especially for GR, on August 1st - 19 counted in a walk up & downstream, with some excellent photo opportunities. Good spot for Small Reds & Southerns, although last season I saw more along Crockford & Silver Stream - also top spots for GR.

Linda - I had my best Club-tail experiences at Gorley/Pangbourne in Berkshire. I know Pulborough's meant to be a good spot,but the Thames was more fruitful.

John - not too ambitious really is it? Just a wish list....but I live by the mantra 'Be careful what you wish for'  :smiley:

We're already booked in for the WFD at Staffordshire this year, hoping for better weather this time. Such a long trip you have to come back with something to make the journey worthwhile, but I 'think' I've learned to accept there are going to be bad days and try not to get disappointed.

As for those Common Hawkers.....I'm determined this year and will pull out all the stops. Any migrants will be icing on the cake, but I'm not one for standing on a bank for 3 or 4 hours hoping for a glimpse  :tongue: If it happens. it was meant to be - if not, there's always another chance...

So pencil in a NF visit around late July or early August to get those GR sorted for you  :tbup:

Offline GOLDENORFE

• Emperor
    • Goldenorfephotography and Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 08:47:24 PM »
I Think everyones first choice is better weather than last year , up here in cheshire ALL the early species except clubtails had an awful year.
saw very little so hope for better this year :smiley:

as for my species targets,

#1  Downy emerald pics , still failed!!
#2  scarce chaser   never seen, but know where to guarentee seeing them  :smiley:
#3  Migrant hawker pics !!!!!!!!  pain in the butt species for me  :headwall:
#4  cant think of a #4 species  lol   but a few more golden ringed would be nice!

any one who wants to see the white faces at whixall contact me or Pete & we will arrange a vist to show u around, if weather ok and sunny should guarentee seeing them in good numbers  :grin:  (unlike last year  :cry: )

Phil

Offline philbirder

• Emperor
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Wish List, ahem, as I've seen Norfolk Hawker and White-faced Darter, and am unlikely to get to Scotland, it has to be one of the emerald damselflies, other than Common Emerald. Any of the three will do!  :smiley:

On a more realistic note, to get a second Hairy Dragonfly or a first Scarce Chaser on my local patch would do nicely.

Phil

Offline s1ni5t3r

• Emperor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 07:08:46 AM »
1. Ditto. Beautiful sunshine while I drove home this morning but  it's before 7 o'clock and it's clouded over and started raining already 
2. Get some decent shots of Club Tailed.
3. See and photograph Brilliant Emerald. This is one of the few I haven't seen and it's on my doorstep. I've lived in Kent and Sussex since I started. If anyone knows a good site in Sussex I'd be grateful.
4. See Erythromma Lindenii (Goblet Marked or Blue-Eyed damselfly) in the UK. I've got no evidence that it's here but it's range brings it right up to the channel and it's related to Red-Eyed (so might make the jump) and quite hard to spot being a blue-black damsel that likes to perch away from the bank.
5. See Dainty Damselfly. I managed to miss it last year.
6. Hope that work takes me to Scotland or Ireland for Irish Dam and Northern Dam and Azure Hawker.
7. A successful trip to france in July.

Offline s1ni5t3r

• Emperor
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 07:21:37 AM »

#1  Downy emerald pics , still failed!!
#2  scarce chaser   never seen, but know where to guarentee seeing them  :smiley:
#3  Migrant hawker pics !!!!!!!!  pain in the butt species for me  :headwall:

Phil

If you were down in the South East. I could give you sites to see all 3 easily. Migrant Hawker in particular at Fordwich Lakes in kent. They are like a biblical plague. Scarce chaser can be seen here as well.
Downy Emerald seems to be particularly tame on the Pond at the bottom of Wakehurst Place Sussex. I have pictures from several different visits. Everywhere else I've seen them they wouldn't sit at all.

Offline LCPete

• Emperor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »
Main targets this year is damselflies  :smiley:
Try to get better shots of the common ones like bluetails
And will try to see the southern damsel on anglsey in June
May be tricky as I'm away in June but hope to fit it in
At the moment just want to see anything not even seen large red damsels yet!
Hope to see lots next week tho  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 10:24:06 PM by LCPete »

Offline Zonda

• Emperor
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:15 AM »
1 Get a decent Hairy shot.
2 Get better isolation on all shots
3 photograph loads of dragons and damsels
4 Travel as short distances as possible / petrol consumption too high.
Good luck to you all.

Offline nigelkendall

• Emerald
    • NaturalBreak
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 05:58:00 PM »
This is a fun topic!

My WL would be:
1. To see my first Brilliant Emerald
2. To see my first GR Dragonflies since 1978, and find a good location in Somerset
3. Get decent photos of Small Reds
4. See Thursley get back to its old self
5. Discover a decent rare migrant
6. Find a female Ode fancier with plenty of money

Not much to ask for really. :0)

Nigel

Offline Asagiri

• Darter
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:01:06 PM »
Hi Nigel,

Can only help with (2) I think... ;) and these are suggestions rather than guarantees:

Blackdowns - Castle Neroche and Staple Common area
Quantocks - West Bagborough and West Quantoxhead
West Somerset coast - Streams around Williton/Doniford/Washford
Exmoor - river valleys, especially the Exe and the Barle at Landacre Bridge.

Hope this is of help!