To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic: Other Spanish 6-footed beasts  (Read 304 times)

Offline jccurd

• Emperor
    • Odo-nutters
Other Spanish 6-footed beasts
« on: June 16, 2016, 01:28:42 PM »
My recent Spanish Odo haul may have been a tad disappointing but I was happy with a few other insect finds.

We were destined for a 1-week walking trip in Andalucia so we had a few training walks before leaving. On one of these, we stumbled across a large (~5cms), flightless black beetle with red stripes. At frist I thought it might be a larva but, no, this is the adult, well-named Red-Striped Oil Beetle.

On home turf while scanning the local stream for elusive Odos, my boss spotted what turned out to be a Conehead Mantis attempting to ambush prey in a riverside plant.

Butterflies didn't seem to be any more numerous than Odos but we manage to find what I'm almost certain is a Provencal Fritillary (I always find Fritillaries tricky), together with a partially cooperative female Moroccan Orange Tip (plenty of spectacular males around but they weren't stopping to pose) and, object of my heart's desire, my first ever Spanish Festoon, which I've long wanted to see but this was my first trip in its main flight season.

So, quite happy with that little haul.

Quite high in the Andalucian mountains we had only our second encounter with another insect that I absolutely adore, Ascalaphids, fast-flying relatives of the Ant-lions. I was hoping this would prove to be a new species to me but alas not. Delightful critters, though.
John

[http://www.odonata.org.uk]

Offline LindaB

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor
    • LindaB Photography
Re: Other Spanish 6-footed beasts
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:52:34 PM »
A fabulous selection and pics John - that Spanish Festoon is gorgeous, so eye-catching

Linda

Online Steve B

• Emperor
Re: Other Spanish 6-footed beasts
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 09:07:19 PM »
Superb set John!