To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic: Scarce Bluetails in 'Avon'  (Read 683 times)

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
Scarce Bluetails in 'Avon'
« on: July 04, 2016, 04:16:13 PM »
A couple of years ago Gary Thoburn found some Scarce Blue-tailed Damselflies in a 'puddle' on some rough ground round a trading estate near Severn Beach. Not sure if they'd ever been found in 'Avon' before then (?). I recently heard whilst birding in the area, that they'd been seen again this year. Gary kindly passed on directions to the site, and this morning I had some time to look for them.

Weather wasn't the best when I arrived at 11am. It was overcast and breezy, but the puddle wasn't too hard to find, just maybe 20m to the right of the entrance to the CHEP warehouse compound. It's currently no more than a couple of flooded ruts made by a very large vehicle, in a damp depression in some overgrown rough ground.

I spent half an hour in the area immediately round the puddle, and explored the taller herbage away from the puddle. In that time I found at least 5 male Scarce Blue-tailed Damselflies, and one female (unfortunately not aurantiaca phase). They settled for excellent views, and it was also interesting seeing how it was possible to pick them up by their slighter appearance in flight, compared to the Common Blue-tailed Damselflies also present at the site.

Hopefully this local rarity will persist here for a while, and their 'wasteland' home doesn't just get bulldozed soon by people totally oblivious of their presence!

Pools in this general area have produced some other 'goodies' over the last couple of years, including Lesser Emperor, Red-veined Darter, and established colonies of Small Red-eyed Damselfly. So well worth a visit.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 04:31:46 PM by larry wheatland »

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Emperor
Re: Scarce Bluetails in 'Avon'
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 05:18:51 PM »
Excellent news. Have you notified BRERC?

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 05:37:22 PM »
Haven't yet, but will do.

Offline adrian riley

• Darter
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 10:21:20 PM »
All of the Bugalert Odonata records go to BDS at the end of the year, so there is a safety net.
Adrian Riley www.bugalert.net.

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 10:33:04 PM »
Cheers Adrian and Mike, I've reported the sighting to BRERC now  :tbup:

Offline Jerry

• Administrator
  • Emperor
    • UK Dragonflies
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 08:48:13 AM »
What an excellent find, well done.
Jerry

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »
What an excellent find, well done.

Pretty easy though when you know where the puddle is. It's how on earth the original finder noticed them in the first place that I find completely mindblowing. It's not like they stand out when you walk past a puddle if you don't know they're there! Just goes to show what we must miss with odonata.

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
Some sad news  :cry:

Had a chance to return to this site yesterday, only to discover that the whole area has been flattened, presumably to build upon, and is no longer suitable for damselflies.

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Emperor
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:56:47 PM »
If it was a bird there'd be a preservation order slapped on it.  :sad:

Offline pdwinter

• Emperor
    • Patchwatching
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »
Scarce Bluetails are quite itinerant and don't seem to persist at sites I've seen them (except for the Latchmoor Brook) so it might be worth looking for similar sites nearby.
Paul, Rownhams, Hants

Offline larry wheatland

• Skimmer
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
Scarce Bluetails are quite itinerant and don't seem to persist at sites I've seen them (except for the Latchmoor Brook) so it might be worth looking for similar sites nearby.

If I get time I certainly will. There must be somewhere round there with them I reckon, but most of the area's inaccessible. It's also drier than last year, with much of the wet ditch habitats totally dried out.