To browser these website, it's necessary to store cookies on your computer.
The cookies contain no personal information, they are required for program control.
  the storage of cookies while browsing this website, on Login and Register.

Author Topic: Camera equipment for dragons/damsels  (Read 5191 times)

Offline GOLDENORFE

• Emperor
    • Goldenorfephotography and Blog
Camera equipment for dragons/damsels
« on: June 10, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
someone asked about my camera, so -

damselflys and close up dragons -
canon 450d with full set kenko extension tubes with a canon 100mm macro lens, a 430ex flash gun with home made diffuser

full flash shot 100mm + full set ex tubes

full shots of dragons/ damsels  usually either 100mm macro or 70-300 is with a 12mm extension tube.

100mm macro, shot natural light handheld

extreme close ups  use canon mpe-65 macro lens which gives x1 - x5 life size magnification -  as used for red damselfly portraits.

full flash large red damsel

mpe full flash    4 spot chaser face

Offline cybershot

• Chaser
Re: Camera equipment for dragons/damsels
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »
Incredible!

P.S. from the sublime to the ridiculous:

http://www.pdngearguide.com/gearguid...86e10d4b41304e
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 08:58:03 PM by cybershot »
Think twice before you speak once!

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Emperor
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 10:25:02 PM »
More superb pics. I'm not about to swap all my Sony gear for Canon, but if I did, that MPE-65 would be the reason.

Offline LindaB

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor
    • LindaB Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 10:55:04 PM »
Good post Phil, but are any of those focus stacked?  Not being sarcastic or anything lol, but I feel its really important when giving information about the gear and posting pics of what has been taken with that gear, to mention if anything other than basic post processing has been done. 

Having purchased a second-hand MPE earlier this year, and although I havent had time to practice with it hardly at all, I realise how shallow the DoF is compared to what I sometimes see when pics are posted on the web.

Linda

Offline Markulous

• Emperor
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »
Great stuff!  :tbup:
And thanks for the info on gear

I too, like Linda, have bought a s/h MP-e but haven't really given it a full tryout  :sad:

On the subject of focus stacking (something I'm getting into as I reckon I'll need it with the MP-e), I've found it increasingly useful to 'manually' stack using just PS and layers. But a bit like taking panos, I need to remember to do it (and which shots I've done it with!)  :wink:

Edit: Here's what I mean. Pic is composite of two planes - first is on large bug and second is on the smaller
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 09:27:24 AM by Markulous »
Creatively Canon & Sigmally Surreal @ Peak District

Offline Zonda

• Emperor
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »
Hya Linda, fantastic shots. I notice you keep the flashes off camera, would this work with your flash on the hot shoe? Also, how far away from the subject are you with all three tubes attached. Basically, i've got all this gear except for the off camera extension lead, but never actually used it on insects, although my flashguns are smaller. I'll have to have a little experiment. :tbup:

Offline LindaB

• Global Moderator
  • Emperor
    • LindaB Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 12:42:42 PM »
Hya Linda, fantastic shots. I notice you keep the flashes off camera, would this work with your flash on the hot shoe? Also, how far away from the subject are you with all three tubes attached. Basically, i've got all this gear except for the off camera extension lead, but never actually used it on insects, although my flashguns are smaller. I'll have to have a little experiment. :tbup:

Now then Frankie - its Phil you should be addressing this to - there is no way I am that good.

Offline Mike

• Administrator
  • Emperor
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
Interesting weevil shot. I didn't know the male was the lesser of two weevils..  :rolleyes:

Offline Markulous

• Emperor
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 06:22:51 PM »
I didn't know the male was the lesser of two weevils..  :rolleyes:

:grin:

And there was me thinking it was the mother giving her child a lift to the top of the leaf!  :rolleyes:
Creatively Canon & Sigmally Surreal @ Peak District

Offline GOLDENORFE

• Emperor
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:36 PM »
Linda -  only the red damsel shot is focus stacked.  you dont need to stack :smiley:
just need to get the focus plane to cover the most area possible including the eye!

frankie - i am not Linda :grin:     :handclap
you can use flash on hot shoe but really need to get as close to end of lens as possible, i have 2 mini ball heads to alter flash angle
depending on subject, constantly moving it.

with full set of tubes minimum focus distance is about 6 inch at x2 mag.    mpe only focus 4 inch down to 1.5 inch.

markulous - yes i do use layers in ps sometimes, also use zerene stacker program

next question ? 

phil

Offline Zonda

• Emperor
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 06:57:43 AM »
Thanks for the answer, and apologies for the identity confusion. The truth is,,,, i'm Linda.  :confused: :confused: :confused:

No way will i achieve that close-up discipline, ,, far too shakey, and not enough patience.

Lesser of two weevils,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Alastair Rae

• Skimmer
    • My Flickr photos
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:08 PM »
I don't currently have a flash but was wondering about the Marumi DRF14C Ring Flash for Canon (c 120) for my Sigma 105mm macro. What's the advantage of the 430ex with extension cable?

Offline GOLDENORFE

• Emperor
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 07:20:04 PM »
ring flash gives a very even light which produces rather flat looking images, also very difficult to add diffusion to them because they are around the lens

a single flash lighting from one side gives a more natural looking image , you can alter flash angle for different shooting angles/subjects
and add more diffusion when required.

phil

Offline Zonda

• Emperor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 07:33:33 PM »
I know that an off camera diffused flash will give better modeling, and a more subtle tonal range from my work on fungi.....  However, my system had to have a good tripod base because of the relatively dark situations,,,,,, is this the case with your insect system, or is it possible to hand hold, or move quickly with this set-up? Or are you tripod bound too?   I too have been thinking about a ring flash for insects.  :undecided:

Offline Zonda

• Emperor
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »
I am a great fan of reflectors, which work great with static subjects, but if you wack a 10" reflector up against a dragonfly's ear,,,, he, or she will vacate the vicinity fast.  :grin: